NAS V. Ye. Lashkaryov Institute of Semiconductor Physics was founded in 1960 on the basis of departments and laboratories of the Institute of Physics of the Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR
Its principal research areas are:
– physics of interaction of electromagnetic radiation with matter;
– physics of low-dimensional systems, micro- and nanoelectronics;
– optoelectronics and solar energy engineering;
– semiconductor materials science and sensor systems.
Recent achievements and developments:
- Proposed, validated and constructed has been a generator of coherent acoustic waves, based on quantum superlattices (SASER).
- Proved was the possibility of producing a distant fiber-optic sensor of acoustic and mechanical vibrations, alongside with perimeter fiber-optic burglar-alarm system relying on it.
- Determined were photoluminescence mechanisms in strained pseudomorphic structures that contain A3B5 quantum wells of subcritical widths.
- Developed were methods to control characteristics and luminescence intensity in Si–SiO2 structures with silicon quantum dots.
- Found was a new mechanism of linear polarisation in photoluminescence of quantum superlattices, that results from nanocorrugation of heteroboundaries.
- Developed were fundamentals for evaluating certain structural parameters of multilayer crystalline systems, namely: deformations, strains, discrepancy values, concentrations of solid solutions, composition gradients, thicknesses of intermediate layers at heteroboundaries and values of superlattice parameters.
- Developed was a workflow to produce multielement photodetectors for IR spectral range, which includes preparation of metal and semiconductor layers, production of contact areas and windows with photolithographic methods, implantation and hybrid assemblage of photoreceiving devices, as well as boxing these facilities.
- The energy spectrum of silicon nanosystems with quantum dots was found to contain optical transitions inherent to porous structures as well, while the energies of these transitions depend on the technology of nanosystem production, which is important for implementing them in nanoelectronics.