Founded on July 8, 1965.
Its basic research areas are:
- physics of solid state under extreme conditions;
- physics and technology of advanced structural and functional materials.
Principal developments proposed:
- detection of anomalous acoustoelectric effect;
- development of a new method to record electron phase separation in solids;
- a discovery of inducing new solid phase states under extreme conditions;
- development of theoretical friction models in nanosized mechanisms;
- development of technological fundamantals for producing oxide nanopowders; ceramic produce made of these powders;
- development of physical principles to produce nanocrystalline metallic materials with improved mechanical properties by means of plastic deformation;
- design and manufacture of equipment to study barocryomagnetic effect in solids and liquids;
- a design of thermograph – a medical instrument for early diagnostics of tumors.