Established on December 28, 1963 on the base of the Institute of Water Economy of Ukraine (founded on April 30, 1926 and then transformed to the Institute of Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering of AS UkrSSR.
Principal study areas of the Institute are:
- hydromechanics of moving objects and turbulent flows;
- hydromechanics of water currents and hydro-engineering facilities.
Major achievements and developments:
In fundamental research:
- The theory of filtration processes in soils of various structures has been developed, with account being taken of physico-chemical exchange in the soil–plant–atmosphere system.
- Methods to calculate wave fields of various physical nature have been elaborated with consideration to peculiarities of the mechanisms of their generation and interaction with obstacles.
- Methods have been developed to control flow characteristics around moving bodies in a wide range of velocities, up to the sound velocity in liquids.
Institute’s contributions to solving important problems of the national economy:
- A technology for producing novel filtration materials and using them for constructing efficient irrigation systems has been developed. The technology has been implemented on large territories of Ukraine and other countries of the former Soviet Union.
- Proposals towards optimizing the navigation regimes in difficult waterways have been worked out and introduced to practice, with account being taken of navigation safety and environment protection requirements.
- Methods and structures to protect seashores and riverbanks against ruining by currents and waves have been devised and implemented.
- Technologies of using explosions in industry, that ensure seismic safety of populated areas and various technical facilities, have been developed and introduced to practice.