Set up on September 7, 1978.
Primary research lines of the Institute are:
- operator methods of functional analysis and linear algebra, and their applications;
- the theory of differential equations and dynamic systems;
- thermodynamic fundamentals for constructing mathematical models of deformable-solid mechanics, with account being taken of the structure and interaction between various natural processes;
- mathematical methods to calculate, optimize and predict the deformability, strength, durability and behaviour of mechanical systems.
Principal achievements and developments:
The science school started by Acad. Ya. S. Pidstryhach for describing interrelated processes of various physical nature via mechanical, thermodynamic and mathematical modelling evolves towards mathematical modeling and study of physico-mechanical processes and contact phenomena in homogeneous bodies and composite structures (led by NAS Corr. Memb. H. S. Kit) and continuum-thermodynamic modeling and optimization of non-linear locally non-equilibrium systems and inhomogeneous structures (led by NAS Corr. Memb. Ya. Yo. Burak).
Mathematical research at the Institute is centered in the science school for non-classical problems of rational approximations, operator methods of linear algebra and functional analysis, founded by Prof. V. Ya. Skorobohatko and Prof. P. S. Kazimirsky. The school is developing further under the supervision of NAS Corr. Memb. B. Yo. Ptashnyk.
The following developments have been produced on the basis of research results:
- a device for nondestructive optical control of hardening stresses in sheet glass;
- a set of means for vibration-isolation and control of dynamic regime of a drill column;
- a standard design of reinforced-glass or basalt-plastic tube rods;
- methods for thermovacuum treatment of electrovacuum devices;
- a computer system for dynamic analysis of human walk and assessing the quality of lower-limb prosthetics;
- a technology for producing ion-implanted GaAs structures for microelectronic devices;
- methods for evaluating composite strength by its dynamic rigidity and damping;
- a laser technology for synthesizing thin films of luminiscent nitride materials for plane displays.
Ya. S. Pidstryhach (in the center) with heads of departments: Ya. Yo. Burak, Yu. M. Koliano, H. V. Pliatsko and B. L. Pelekh (from the left to right), 1978