Established on September 7, 1990.
Principal lines of research:
- theoretical problems of sociology;
- methodology and methods of sociological studies;
- history of sociological ideas;
- social development and transformation of Ukrainian society;
- social structures and institutions;
- social stratification and social policy;
- social problems of economic transformation;
- formation and development of market economy;
- development of property forms and entrepreneurship;
- sociology of personality, formation of demands, interests, attitudes, value orientations;
- studies of mass consciousness, social well-being and public opinion;
- sociology of culture and mass communication;
- ethno-social and ethno-cultural problems of the Ukrainian society.
Main achievements and developments:
- socio-psychological factors of Ukrainian society stabilization;
- current trends of social mobility in the Ukrainian society;
- formation of Ukrainian elite in conditions of social transformation;
- dynamics and factors of social well-being and public opinion in Ukraine;
- political transformation of today’s Ukrainian society;
- attitudes towards economic reforms in Ukraine.