Established in December 1991.
Its basic research areas are:
- theory and history of political science;
- political institutes and processes;
- ethno-political studies;
- socio-political history.
Principal research achievements of the Institute are presented in collective monographs:
- “Political History of Ukraine in the XX-th Century” in 6 volumes (1999-2002);
- “Crimea in the Ethnopolitical Perspective” (2004);
- “Civil Society in Modern Ukraine: Peculiariries of Formation and Development Trends” (2006);
- “Ukrainian Choice: Political Systems of the XX Century and Search for Its Own Social Development Model” (2007);
- “Ukraine: Political History (ХХ – Early ХХІ Century)” (2007);
- “Carpathian Ukraine in Ethnopolitical Perspective” (2008);
- “Politics in Persons (Political Leadership in Post-Socialist Area: National and Regional Aspects” (2008).