Established on April 14, 2004.
Its main lines of research activities are:
- fundamental, pilot and applied studies in encyclopaedistic area;
- elaboration of scholarly and methodological principles for producing various types of encyclopaedic editions;
- studying, analyzing and generalizing international and national experience in encyclopaedistic area, in particular, that in preparation and printing of encyclopaedic editions, employng up-to-date technologies;
- producing databases for preparation and printing of encyclopaedic editions;
- forecasting the development in encyclopaedistic activities and professional assessment of encyclopaedic research results.
One of the major achievements of the Institute is preparation and publication of the Encyclopedia of Modern Ukraine (EMU) – the first all-Ukrainian encyclopaedia that gives a truthful, impartial and comprehensive description of the integral many-sided image of Ukraine in the 20–21-st centuries. The 25-volume EMU edition contains over 90 thousand entries, about 60 thousand illustrations, colour appendices in particular. The number of printed copies is 10,000 for each volume. Printing of EMU was started in 2001, now 6 volumes have been published.
EMU repeatedly takes leading places in the ‘Book of the Year’ Ukrainian national rating, it was awarded numerous diplomas, in particular, in 2003 it became a laureate of the ‘Person of the Year-2002‘ national program in the nomination ‘Cultural Project of the Year’.