Principal study areas of the Institute are:
– state-building and law-making in Ukraine: theory, history, practice;
– legal aspects of democratization of social relationships, formation of civil society, establishment and implementation of human rights and freedoms;
– theoretical and practical issues of the development of legal system in Ukraine;
– theoretical and practical issues of the implementation of Constitution and legislation of Ukraine;
– Ukraine in the system of modern international legal order and European integration: theory and practice;
– issues of encyclopaedic legal studies, philosophy and sociology of law.
Major research achievements:
– Several learned schools have originated and function at the Institute, among them: the school of ecological law (headed by NAS academician Yu. S. Shemshuchenko); the school of agrarian law (headed by NAS corresponding member V. I. Semchyk); the school of constitutional law (started by NAS corresponding member V. F. Pogorilko); the school of administrative law (headed by NAS corresponding member V. B. Averyanov).
– With the aim of facilitating the informatization of the Ukrainian society, the Institute is implementing the project of systematization and generalization of the information legislations of Ukraine and other states (CIS, Europe and Asia) by publishing a multivolume collection of information legislations, commentaries and fundamental monographs addressing various issues of information legislation (2005-2010).