Founded in 1964 as the Sector of Geography, since 1991 it has been the NAS Institute of Geography.
Main research lines of the Institute are:
- developing theoretical principles of fundamental geographical studies;
- finding general trends in nature changing and patterns in the formation of landscapes and their elements;
- studies of branch and territorial transformations in the structure of Ukrainian economy;
- identifying trends of sustainable economic, social and ecological development of Ukraine and its regions;
- cartographic studies of nature, society and their interactions.
The most valuable result of fundamental geographical studies is the publication in 2007 of the National Atlas of Ukraine. The Institute has produced major results in investigating current and ancient landscape evolution; detecting spatio-temporal patterns of land relief forming, current structure and neogeodynamics; validating the geographical concept of sustainable development for Ukraine and its regions; elaborating scientific fundamentals of studying economy transformation, processes of inhabitants’ vital activities, systemic mapping of nature, population, nation’s economy etc.