Set up in 1958 on the basis of the laboratory of high-molecular compounds of the Institute of Organic Chemistry under AS UkrSSR (before 1963 – the Institute of Polymers and Monomers).
The Institute carries out research into advanced areas of macromolecular chemistry:
- chemistry, physics and technology of functional polymers and polymer composites;
- theoretical fundamentals of polymer and polymer composite modification;
- scientific tools of forming organic-inorganic polymers and composites based on natural compounds;
- theoretical fundamentals of forming polymers intended for medicine.
Among practical developments of the Institute especially noticeable are novel adhesive compositions of various applications (constructional, cryogenic, electroconducting, optical, permanent-stickiness, medical etc.), safe paintwork, anticorrosive and special film materials, functional polymeric composites of various technical and technological applications: waterproof, antifriction, optical-and-sound-transparent, biocompatible, electroconducting nanocomposites, sensor materials, heat- and radiation-resistant, self-extinguishing and other materials.
The Institute continues application-oriented studies in chemistry and physico-chemistry of polymers and polymer composites: technology of functional polymers and composites; theoretical principles of modifying synthetic polymers and copolymers based on natural polymers; fundamentals of forming functional organic-inorganic polymers and composites based on natural compounds, of forming polymers to be used in medicine.
Developments offered for commercialization:
- all-purpose glue compositions of the ‘Styk’ family;
- the ‘Metakont’ conductive glue;
- adhesive compounds for spacecraft solar cells;
- paintwork materials for antifriction, chemical-resistant, waterproof, antistatic coatings;
- antifriction heat-resistant coatings with strong adhesion;
- elastic composite materials based on liquid caoutchouc;
- anticorrosive and antifriction coatings for protecting metal surfaces;
- polymer compositions for building and restoration (sealing of underground structures and pools, strengthening of structures and foundations, ground consolidation);
- multi-purpose water-based ionomer polyurethane dispersion;
- multi-layered film materials for personal protective equipment against active substances;
- wood-polymer composites to substitute industrial wood and thermoplastics;
- pollution-free presswork based on novel organic-inorganic binders;
- polymer materials for medicine;
- clot-resistant polyurethanes for coronary stents etc.